Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Blogging vs. flogging

For some reason I come to these blog posts with a different attitude than for the rest of the website, social media, and other public-facing elements of this project. Every form of writing is filtered, and entails (I think) some attempt to give order and meaning to experience, and usually some desire to cast the writer in a good light. But I feel comparatively freer and more open in my blog posts, more confessional, more willing to discuss self-doubt and shortcomings. 

I’ve talked about bad performances, for example. Not only would I not put second-rate performance clips in the concert summary postings, I wouldn’t even allude, in that venue, to the obvious fact that the recorded selections there are curated, and that there are performances from each concert (plenty!) that I would never, ever post online.

This distinction between blogging and the project’s other publicity is a little silly. I mean, this blog is embedded on the project website. Still, I welcome the freedom to let it all hang out here, even if that freedom is arbitrarily self-granted. And limited. Like even here in the blog, I wouldn’t mention my insecurity about performing while 15 pounds above my ideal weight. (oh whoops)

Anyway, the original impetus for this post was just to say, if you are a blog reader but not checking out the rest of the site, that a lot of my energy documenting this project is going into the write-ups on the Concerts page now, more than to this blog. Check them out!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Climate chaos continued: Please don’t come to my concert

The upcoming Vershire performance is in the Town Center Building, and was initiated by (among others) the town clerk. It is truly a town con...