Saturday, November 5, 2022

Focus

There are of course barriers other than self-obsession and judgmentalism to staying focused or giving yourself over to the music. For instance, in my performances I talk a lot between pieces, and sometimes while playing I find myself thinking about what I might say next. This never ends well.

As I mentioned in my Chelsea concert write-up, I was unable to learn anything about how the 1912 Huntington upright came to be there. At one point in the performance, the brand name caught my eye and I said to myself “Huntington. Huh. We live in the town of Huntington!” (This had actually not occurred to me until that moment.) 

My internal dialog continued: “OK, now that you’ve got my attention, do you have any idea what the next note is? Because I have no clue.”


I guess that’s my story about the Chelsea piano.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Climate chaos continued: Please don’t come to my concert

The upcoming Vershire performance is in the Town Center Building, and was initiated by (among others) the town clerk. It is truly a town con...