Sunday, March 19, 2023

Mega-media and monopolies

Following up on my last post. Of course I could solve the context problem by using another platform to host my videos, one that lets me embed them without making them otherwise publicly findable. But in the present moment, if a video is not on YouTube or Vimeo or the like, it feels like it’s semi-hidden. Which I guess is what I’m after, but it feels at cross purposes to the goal of increasing overall awareness of the project.

Likewise I’m not a big Facebook fan, but for now it remains a go-to for promotion of all kinds, and keeping a project off the platform is self-limiting. 

There can be positive aspects to monopolies and monoliths, like the expectation that you can check just one or two major clearinghouses to find information about an event, or that you can share files in universally comprehensible formats (DOCX, PDF). When the organizations that regulate these quasi-monopolies are well-governed, distributed, and not for profit, like Wikipedia or the MIDI Manufacturers Association, the results are often excellent. When they’re private and for profit, results are often at least kludgy (Word) and not infrequently dangerous and malign (insert social media platform of your choice). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

La Melanconia, or, My Project in 50 Words*

There is only one Play Every Town concert this April because I took on several non-PET engagements for a change.  One was the performance of...