Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit

Essex Junction, until now a village within the town of Essex,* just voted to become Vermont’s tenth city. On July 1, 2022, it will legally separate from the Town of Essex and bring the number of recognized Vermont municipalities to 252. 

As for my cute little scheme to introduce each Scarlatti sonata with II-V-I progressions? Unfortunately, the “II-V-II” progression is not much of a thing. But the 251 Club says they’re not going to change their name, so I guess I can stick with my harmonic plan too.

The citification of Essex Junction also means Vermont’s municipalities tally will go from a prime to a run-of-the-mill even number. One consolation for us numerology geeks: including the four unincorporated gores and grants (not part of the usual tally) will now bring the total to 256, which is a power of 2. I’ve been wondering anyway if I ought to play these places (Averys Gore, Buels Gore, Warrens Gore, Warners Grant). If not, there will be white patches forever remaining on my map, so maybe that’s what I’ll do. But right now, with zero concerts yet played, this is definitely a “worry later” problem.

*In Vermont, “towns” are large-ish areas defined by boundaries that were mostly set arbitrarily by distant power brokers in New Hampshire or New York, usually long before there was much European settlement within those borders. “Villages” are clustered settlements within towns: the places you’ll probably find a church and maybe a general store, town hall, railway station (as in Essex Junction) etc.. Towns can have multiple villages. Villages can be incorporated or unincorporated, but in either case they are still a part of their surrounding town and are not counted in the tally of Vermont’s 251 (soon 252) distinct municipalities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

La Melanconia, or, My Project in 50 Words*

There is only one Play Every Town concert this April because I took on several non-PET engagements for a change.  One was the performance of...